Children & Families
It is important to us that families across Leicestershire and Rutland can eat well, participate in regular activity and maintain a healthy weight.
We understand that this isn't always easy, so our aim is to encourage young people to develop positive lifestyle behaviours, like cooking healthy food or engaging in exercise, that will continue into adulthood.
At Weight Management Leicestershire, our Nutritionists can provide support to families through our eight-week lifestyle programme.
Throughout the eight-week programme, you will be guided by a friendly and dedicated Nutritionist to answer any questions and provide helpful information.
They will recommend exciting, budget-friendly food ideas that are simple for your family to follow, enjoy, and be a part of.
Our friendly Nutritionists will also recommend manageable physical activity for your family to engage in.
Get Started Today
Here are some tips on how to help your family eat healthier meals:
- Eat at least 5 portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables every day.
- Base meals on starchy carbohydrates such as potatoes, bread, rice, pasta. Choose wholegrain versions where possible.
- Try dairy alternatives, such as soya drinks or oat milk.
- Include proteins like beans, fish, eggs and meat in your meals.
- Choose unsaturated oils and spreads and eat these in small amounts.
- Try to drink 6-8 glasses of fluid a day – water is best.
- Enjoy foods and drinks that are high in fat, salt, or sugar less often and in small amounts.
- Aim for 3 balanced meals every day to prevent feelings of hunger. Don't skip meals, as this could lead to overeating later in the day.
Why You Should Eat Your 5 A Day
Join our superhero pepper and learn more about the benefits of having fruit and vegetables in your diet. 'Eat the rainbow.'
The Connection Between Food and Mood
Learn five tips for improving your mood through the food that you eat, and understand how food can affect our body and how we are feeling.
You can check your BMI here
* Leicestershire Weight Management services are available subject to eligibility. Please call the service on 0116 305 0730 to discuss the best option for you and your family.